PPL - Strength and Bodybuilding Program
What is it?
PPL is a 6 days program that with the goal of increasing both strength and muscle. PPL stands for push, pull, legs and It's a very popular program on r/fitness. You start with strength exercises (barbell work, pull-ups, etc) and finish with bodybuilding, for smaller muscles like biceps/triceps. It's suppose to be 6 days a week - pull, push, legs, rest, push, pull, legs but it's not a big deal if you do 5 days if you can't do 6 or even 7 days if you can. Just follow what your body tells you. The important thing is to hit enough sets per muscle groups in a given week. The original description is on Reddit.
Push Day (chest and triceps)
- Bench press 5x5
- Overhead press 5x5
- 3x8-12 incline dumbbell press
- Triceps pushdowns 3x8-12 Super set with lateral raises 3x15-20
- Overhead triceps extensions 3x8-12 Super set with lateral raises 3x15-20
- For 1 and 2: You can do 3x8-12 instead of 5x5 whenever you feel like
Pull Day (back and biceps)
- Deadlifts 3x5
- Barbell rows 4x5
- Pullups 3x8-12
- Seated cable rows OR chest supported rows 3x8-12
- Face pulls 5x15-20
- Hammer curls 4x8-12
- Dumbbell curls 4x8-12
- 1-5 are back, 6,7 are biceps.
- Back Squats 3x5
- Front squat 3x5
- Romanian Deadlift 3x8-12
- Calf Raises 5x15
- leg press 3x8-12
- leg curls 3x8-12
- calf raises 5x8-12
- You can replace whatever you don't like and also add a few more if you are not tired.
- The idea of this program is to start with big/compound exercises for strength and finish with smaller muscles, for bodybuilding/aesthetics. You can replace each exercise with something else if you can't do or just want some variety.
- Shoulders, back, and abs, can be worked on everyday. I personally have issue growing my shoulders so I added about 10 sets a week whenever I have the time.
- You can do super sets if you feel like (two exercises intertwined without rest).